How government funding can help you better manage ageing and disability

How government funding can help you better manage ageing and disability

The Australian government can provide funding to help suit your current and ongoing needs, but it can be a bit confusing if you're new to government funding. There are a few options depending on your age and your circumstances. 

The funding programs require initial assessments to determine your needs and challenges, then a budget is allocated based on this assessment. Here’s how you can find out more about the assessments: 

  • To know if you’re eligible for the National Disabilities Insurance Scheme (NDIS) visit here
  • To request an assessment from My Aged Care visit here.  

What you need to know about the NDIS 

The NDIS is Australia’s first national Scheme for people with disability and provides funding directly to you based on your budget. Budgets are determined at your planning meetings once you’re deemed eligible for cover under the NDIS.  

Who qualifies: The NDIS is available to eligible people between 7 and 65.  

How are funds allocated 

There are three categories of support. Each will assist you differently, either by funding day-to-day, ongoing support, such as those provided by carers, or by covering the costs of “capital supports”, such as home modifications. If you feel that home modifications would be of value to you then you would need to apply for funds to be allocated to the Capital Supports portion of your budget.  

1. Core Support 

This category offers support with your daily activities as well as your needs. It also helps you to work towards and achieve your goals. For the most part this category is flexible and offers funding over a variety of services, you can see more here.  

2. Capacity Building Support 

The Capacity Building Support category will help you to build your independence and skills ensuring you can remain at home (rather than entering institutional care) and reach your long-term goals. You can only use this funding for the very specific categories that apply.  

3. Capital Supports 

This category covers higher-cost pieces of assistive technology, equipment and home or vehicle modifications, and funding for once-off purchases you could need. It’s important to remember that you can only use funds within the Capital Supports budget for their designated purpose. In order add funds to this portion of your budget, you will first need an assessment from an Occupational Therapist who will make recommendations for specific modifications to be made in your home. Once you have this, contact ELC Home Modifications to organise a quote for the recommended works, which can be taken to your next planning meeting, and added to your budget. Once you have the funds available, ELC Home Modifications, as Registered NDIS providers, can handle the rest from here.  

Find more information about the programs visit here

What you need to know about My Aged Care 

My Aged Care is the main entry point to the Australian aged care system. It aims to simplify access to information on ageing and aged care, as well as help older people, their families and carers accesses their needs. My Aged Care also offers guidance for those looking for and accessing services.  

Who qualifies: Available to people 65+  

There are two main funding programs if you’re looking to age in place these are: 

1. Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) 

This government initiative subsidises home services to seniors needing low level assistance to continue to live independently in their own home. The CHSP offers basic capped services that have strict guidelines.  

You can combine this program with home modifications to help you to continue to age in place. 

2.  Home Care Packages (HCP)  

Aged Care Packages
Aged Care Packages

Home Care Packages offer you a specific amount depending on your level of need. You work with your chosen provider to identify your needs and decide the best way to spend your budget. 

1 Response

  1. Great article. Very informative.

Leave a comment